Please review the menu for stories from other actually autistic people. No single person should act as your guide to autism; be sure to explore.
Table of Contents
I am autistic. I prefer to be called an autistic person, not a person with autism, since autism colors every aspect of my life—I do not have autism; I am autistic.
Relationship Between Autism & Self-Regulation
- Introduction to Stimming
- Flapping | Hands | Skirts & Dresses
- Rocking | Rock-N-Read | Wobble Stool
- Sliding | Bath-Time | Water Aerobics
- Spiraling | Spinning | Swirling
This blog is a work-in-progress until April 2019, so parts still need to be written (i.e., some hyperlinks are pending).
Relationship Between Autism & Perception
- Introduction to Sensitivity
- Sense of Sight | Facial Expressions | Light
- Sense of Smell | Soap | Tuna Sandwiches
- Sense of Sound | Tone of Voice | Yelling
- Sensory Enhancement | Spinners | Toys
Meltdowns & Shutdowns
Relationship Between Autism & Emotions
- Introduction to Melt/Shutdowns
- Anger | Alarm | Fight Response
- Confusion | Isolation & Loneliness | Sarcasm
- Fear | Flight Response | Freeze Loop (External Link)
- Joy | Acceptance | Authenticity
Because Cleo said, “Make an autism amwareness blog,” and I agreed—it sounded like a good idea.
Relationship Between Autism & Culture
- Introduction to Ableism (External Link)
- Micro-Aggression | Everyone’s Autistic | You’re Not Autistic
- Myths | The “Epidemic” | High-Function Autism
- Practice | Kindness | Understanding
- Gender Issues | 4x as Many Boys | Copycats
My cats don’t talk. But how cool would it be if they did?
Relationship Between Autism & Health
- Introduction to Mental & Physical Health
- Anxiety | Math Phobia | Social Anxiety
- Depression (External Link) | Hopelessness | Passive Suicidal Thoughts
- Stomach Issues | Irritable Bowel | Ulcers
- Thriving | Positive Thinking | Routine
Relationship Between Autism & Belonging
- Introduction to the Autistic Social Life
- Interpersonal Skills | Internet | Friendship | Social Creativity
- Gaming Together | Nintendo | MMOs | World of Warcraft
- Therapy Pets | Birds | Cats | Fish
- Romance | Dating | Marriage | Sexual Exploitation
- School Life | Academics | Bullying | Teams
Please note I’m an expert by experience (I’m autistic), not by profession (ex., doctor), and I use this blog not just to educate others, but explore within myself.
My Brand of Autism
Every autistic person has their own brand of autism. That’s why we call it autism spectrum; we are not a defined way, but rather, a spectrum of different ways that share similar characteristics.
Rituals & Favorites
When Joy Emerges from Curiosity
- Introduction to Sameness
- Food & Drink | Cinnamon Tea | Spice | Texture
- Language | Numbers | English | Foreign Language Class
- Music | Flute | Game Music | Symphony of Science
- Nature | Fire | Flowers | Water
Sometimes, I write (or speak) directly about an issue. Other times, it feels safer (or smarter) to approach a conversation through storytelling.
When Expertise Emerges from Curiosity
- Introduction to Special Interests
- 21st Century | AI | We Are Simulated | Virtual Worlds
- Consciousness | Collective Unconscious | Death | Spirituality
- Essential Oils | Anxiety | Depression | Creativity (External Link)
- Futurism | Technological Singularity | Roomba | Sci-fi Novel (External Link)
- Reading | Escapism | First Books | Research
- Writing | Communication | Exploration | Fantasy Novel (External Link)
The following posts were drafted as part of my participation with Autism Awareness Month and National Blog Posting Month.
- November 2018, National Blog Writing Month
- June 2018, Aromatherapy Awareness Week
- May 2018, Mental Health Awareness Month
- April 2018, Autism Awareness Month
Thank you for your interest in my writing.